Family Support During Detox
A key ingredient to effective substance abuse treatment
Get Help Today.
Addiction is a family disease and people do not recover in isolation. Positive family involvement before, during and after detox is essential to lasting recovery, so we make it a priority to provide supportive services to help establish a sense of stability during a time that can feel so uncertain.
Importance of Family Involvement
Effective substance abuse treatment addresses the whole family, not just the addicted individual. The disease of addiction seeps into all aspects of life and relationships, especially those that are closest to it. Often, families don’t know how to help an addicted loved one, but family involvement in treatment can provide professional guidance and support.
Here are a few reasons why family involvement is a necessary component of all substance abuse treatment.
- You learn how to develop a lifestyle that is free from substance abuse.
- You learn how to communicate effectively, respectfully and lovingly.
- The family unit is strengthened as each person grows as an individual.
- You are consistently working towards achieving and maintaining a sense of stability as a whole.
- The overall functioning of the family system is improved.
- You learn how to address and modify negative behaviors like enabling and codependency.
What Is My Role As a Family Member?
If you have a loved one in detox or are considering it as an option, you may find yourself asking this question. As a family member, you have a very important role in the recovery of your loved one—whether they are a son, spouse, sister or mother.
One of your most important responsibilities is to honestly and respectfully communicate to your loved one that they have a substance abuse problem. In some instances, this may be very difficult and painful for them to accept, but if you are able to communicate this in a loving manner, they will be encouraged to seek professional help and begin detox.
While your loved one is in detox, they may not be quite themselves. They’ll be dealing with a lot of physical, emotional and mental changes throughout this process so the best thing you can do to help them is to provide continual encouragement and support. Write a letter to tell them how much it means to you that they are taking this step. Encourage them to stay strong and remind them that they are not alone in their journey to recovery.
While your loved one is in detox, you can also take some time to educate yourself on alcohol or drug addiction. This will help you be more understanding and compassionate to what he or she is going through.
Once your loved one has successfully completed their detox program, there is still much work to be done! Encourage them to continue their treatment with an inpatient residential rehab program, as recommended by their detox treatment team. While your loved one is in rehab, you can show your support by writing letters or visiting the treatment facility.
You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to participate in family counseling sessions after detox is complete. It’s important to make time in your schedule to focus on establishing a new and healthier way of life for your family as a whole. This will require time and effort from everyone involved.
5 Ways We Provide Family Support During Detox
At Briarwood Detox Center, we like to emphasize the importance of the family unit by providing consistent support throughout and after your loved one’s detox program. We offer the following services to each of our clients’ families:
- We provide daily updates on the phone. Your loved one’s detox counselor will call you daily to update you on their progress, current health status and goals for recovery. This will ensure that you always know what is going on throughout each stage of their detox treatment.
- We answer your questions. It’s natural to have a lot of questions during this time. Our staff is more than happy to answer any and all questions you have about detox, treatment, recovery or anything else related to your loved one’s substance abuse and recovery.
- We include you in all decision-making processes. Just because your loved one is temporarily being housed at our detox center doesn’t mean you can’t be involved in the decisions made about his or her treatment. We will always keep you abreast of any situations that arise that require a decision to be made.
- We provide emotional support. Sending a loved one to an inpatient detox center can be difficult and emotionally draining. Our staff is here to remind you that you’re not alone in this. We will encourage you to rest, take care of yourself, and take a break from being in crisis mode. Your loved one is safe and cared for at Briarwood so you can take a moment to relax.
Break Free From Your Addiction Today
(in 3 easy, confidential steps)
Verify your insurance
Complete our fast, free, and easy verification process over the phone to determine the extent of your insurance coverage.
Make an informed decision
We will provide personalized placement recommendations based on your insurance, treatment needs, financial situation, and schedule.
Call (888) 857-0557 or fill out our online form for a free and confidential personal consultation with an admissions specialist.
We Offer Detox and Stabilization From Addictive Substances
At Briarwood Detox Center, we provide specialized, medically-assisted detox at a convenient and serene location. Our facility provides individualized detox programs that are tailored to address your needs and prepare you to fully engage in your recovery.
We offer individualized detox treatment plans for a variety of addictive substances. Our medical and clinical staff consists of caring addiction specialists who are well-versed in the latest evidence-based addiction treatments for all substances.
Your journey at Briarwood starts with a comprehensive assessment which is used to create your supervised detox program. Our medical staff will monitor your withdrawal at all times and administer medication as necessary to ensure your comfort and safety. During detox, you’ll also receive support from our therapeutic team with individual and group counseling. This helps address emotional responses to detox and prepare for the next phase in your recovery.
Why Choose Briarwood for Your Detox?
We provide the highest levels of comfort and safety available. Meeting the physical, emotional and wellness needs of you and your family is our top priority. Our comprehensive approach to drug and alcohol detoxification improves your success rate and your chance for lifelong sobriety.
Your detox program at Briarwood isn’t just a quick route to getting clean—it is the first step in an extensive treatment program that will empower you with the tools you need to break free from the paralyzing grip of addiction and lead a life that you can be proud of.