Why leaving San Antonio to detox is a good idea
The safest & most comfortable detox program in Texas
Get Help Today.
San Antonio is a historic and beautiful city with a diverse population, rich culture, and many tourist attractions that attract visitors year-round. Although the city has much to offer, there is also a widespread problem with addiction and substance abuse locally.
San Antonio residents struggling with substance abuse problems and addiction have several options for addiction treatment within the city, but leaving San Antonio for detox treatment may be the better option. If you are a San Antonio resident seeking a medical detox program, here’s how traveling outside of San Antonio for detox may be beneficial.
Addiction and Substance Abuse in San Antonio, TX
San Antonio is the second most populous city in Texas with 1,511,946 residents.1 Due to its geographic location near the US-Mexico border, there is a high incidence of heroin abuse among certain populations in the city.2 Although the most commonly abused drug in the San Antonio area is alcohol, some of the city’s residents also struggle with drug problems involving other substances, including:
- Prescription drugs
Meth has been ranked as one of the top threats in Texas, including the San Antonio area. Instances of meth abuse and trafficking are trending upward, and the meth coming into Texas from Mexico is now more pure and potent. The price of meth has also dropped by 50 percent, making it more easily accessible to drug users in San Antonio.3
Although heroin seizures along the US-Mexico border decreased in 2017, the DEA reported Mexican heroin production is increasing to meet demands of American drug users.3 Most of the heroin in the San Antonio area and Texas is black tar heroin, so it cannot be easily cut with the dangerous opioid drug fentanyl.
Crack cocaine and synthetic marijuana are most popular among the homeless population in Texas. Non-synthetic marijuana, on the other hand, is frequently being trafficked all across the state of Texas, including the San Antonio area. Marijuana seizures on the US-Mexico border are down, but domestic supply and indoor/outdoor marijuana growing are becoming more common.3
Drug-related crime is also a problem in San Antonio. In 2016, the number of homicides was the highest it’s been in the last two decades, with a total of 151 murders. About 40 percent of San Antonio homicides were drug-related or domestic and most victims were Hispanic and African American males between the ages of 18 and 29.4,5
What Are the Benefits of Leaving San Antonio for Detox?
If you are one of the many San Antonio residents who is struggling with addiction and drug abuse, leaving the city for detox treatment could be advantageous for you. While many large urban areas in Texas are facing similar drug problems, leaving the temptations of your home in San Antonio may provide you with the environment and support you need to fully recover and start fresh.
Here are some of the main benefits of leaving San Antonio for detox treatment.
- You’ll distance yourself from the temptations of home. Being in detox at home can be tempting. You’re just minutes away from all your favorite spots to use, you may even have a stash of drugs waiting for you nearby, and your dealer is just a phone call away. All of this can make getting through detox very difficult but leaving San Antonio for detox can solve the problem. Widening your search outside of San Antonio detox centers and getting some physical distance between you and these triggers might be the best way to get sober and stay sober after detox.
- You can have a fresh start. Leaving your hometown to complete detox treatment is like a breath of fresh air. You’ll have the chance to completely start over in a new place that isn’t associated with your past life of substance abuse and you can mentally free yourself from old habits, negative attitudes, and lifestyles that made you want to use.
- You won’t have the option to give up. Detox can be hard and knowing your family and friends are right around the corner makes it all too easy to just give up when the going gets tough. If you travel for detox treatment outside of San Antonio, you’ll eliminate that option and give yourself the best chance at completing detox and maintaining your sobriety.
Why Inpatient Detox?
Ultimately, whether you choose to detox at a San Antonio Detox Center or elsewhere, inpatient medical detox is the most effective and safe option. While outpatient detox treatment is available and may seem more convenient, nothing can compare to the support of 24/7 medical and clinical care while you’re detoxing.
During detox, the severity of withdrawal symptoms can range from mild to severe, often with no prior warning or indication that there may be a need for professional medical assistance. Under the watchful eye of experienced medical and addiction treatment specialists, you never have to worry about your comfort or physical health throughout the course of detox. You will be well-cared for.
Inpatient detox will also better prepare you for ongoing treatment in rehab if you choose to continue with your treatment after detox. Your treatment staff will ensure that you have the resources you need to choose a rehab center that is reputable, trustworthy, and within your financial means.
Get a Fresh Start: Alternatives to San Antonio Detox Centers
For San Antonio residents, San Antonio detox centers are an option, but there are also many alternatives. If you’re searching for a detox center, we encourage you to consider broadening your search to Briarwood Detox Center in Houston or Austin. We provide comprehensive, high-quality detox care that includes:
- Individualized detox programs for all addictive substances
- A comfortable, home-like environment
- Semi-private and private rooms
- Individual and group therapy
- H&I meetings
- Music and art activities
Break Free From Your Addiction Today
(in 3 easy, confidential steps)
Verify your insurance
Complete our fast, free, and easy verification process over the phone to determine the extent of your insurance coverage.
Make an informed decision
We will provide personalized placement recommendations based on your insurance, treatment needs, financial situation, and schedule.
Get life-changing treatment
Free, Confidential Conversation