Buying Xanax online is fairly common, as many people are addicted and feel like they need it to function normally on a daily basis. Xanax can also be expensive with or without insurance, leading some people to search for it online at a lower cost.
Although it may be more convenient or cheap to buy Xanax online, there are many dangers of doing so. Here’s why you might want to think twice about buying Xanax online.
What is Xanax?
Xanax is one of the most commonly prescribed benzodiazepines in the U.S. It is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders and it works by depressing the central nervous system and providing feelings of calmness and relaxation.
Xanax is only legally available with a prescription and comes in varying dosages. It can be highly addictive if it is abused or used for long periods of time. Due to the euphoric effects it provides, Xanax is frequently abused and it is classified as a Schedule IV drug by the DEA.1
Similar to other benzodiazepines like Valium, Ativan, and Klonopin, any form of Xanax abuse is dangerous and can lead to addiction. Xanax abuse may include:
- Taking someone else’s Xanax prescription
- Taking more frequent doses or larger doses of Xanax than prescribed by a doctor
- Taking Xanax purely to get high
- Crushing Xanax pills and injecting it or snorting it
- Taking Xanax with other drugs or alcohol to enhance its effects
Despite the frequency of its abuse, 125,000 people every year end up in emergency rooms due to complication related to Xanax use. People who abuse Xanax are also at risk for overdose. In fact, U.S. overdose deaths involving benzodiazepines like Xanax have increased from less than 2,000 in 1999 to nearly 11,000 in 2016, according to the CDC.2
A Xanax overdose can also occur if a person takes Xanax with alcohol or other drugs.3 Symptoms of a Xanax overdose include:
- Uncontrolled muscle movements
- Loss of coordination
- Slurred speech
- Slow reflexes
- Rapid heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Abnormal heart rhythm
If you think you or a loved one has overdosed on Xanax, you should seek emergency care right away.
Why Do People Buy Xanax Online?
Xanax prescriptions are not recommended to exceed eight months, but many people continue to use Xanax for longer once they are addicted. The average person with a Xanax addiction will take 20 to 30 pills a day. At this rate, a person’s reserves would quickly be depleted. This is one common reason people buy Xanax online.
People may buy Xanax online for many other reasons, such as:
- They are addicted and need a fast and convenient way to get more Xanax.
- They can’t get another Xanax prescription from their doctor.
- They can’t afford Xanax and need an alternative/cheaper solution.
- They want to buy Xanax but prefer to use digital currencies to remain anonymous.
Dangers of Buying Xanax Online
In addition to it being illegal, buying Xanax online without a valid prescription is also dangerous for several reasons.
- You could be buying from an illegitimate pharmacy. Although there are some legitimate online pharmacies, most are operating outside of the law without any regard to consumers’ health or safety. These illegitimate pharmacies are illegal and untrustworthy, as their only aim is to make money.
- The Xanax could be counterfeit. If you buy Xanax online and it’s much cheaper than it would be through a pharmacy, chances are, it’s not real. Counterfeit or fake Xanax pills are frequently sold online to unsuspecting consumers. These counterfeit pills could contain dangerous ingredients, an incorrect active ingredient, or no active ingredient at all. It could also contain trace amounts of more potent drugs like fentanyl, which could be life-threatening.
- You could risk the safety of your financial information. Purchasing drugs from unscrupulous, illegitimate pharmacies online puts your financial information at risk. Your credit card information could be stolen, sold without your consent, or otherwise mishandled.
- You could be fined or put in jail. Purchasing Xanax online without a legitimate prescription is illegal and if you are caught, you could pay the price. If you buy Xanax online from another country and it is illegally shipped into the U.S., you could face felony charges and up to 10 years in prison.
- Your health and well-being could suffer. If you order Xanax online and it ends up being fake, cut with other drugs, or tampered with, you could suffer uncomfortable or dangerous physical side effects as a result.
Fake Xanax Online
Among all the potential risks and dangers of buying Xanax online, one could argue that the risk of buying fake Xanax online is one of the most dangerous. Fake medications sold online could contain any number of dangerous ingredients, some of which aren’t even intended for human consumption!
Additionally, fake Xanax that was purchased online may look legitimate and even come packaged in convincing boxes, giving you no indication that you shouldn’t consume it. While some online companies claim to sell drug testing kits that can detect counterfeit medications, these kits are unreliable and many of the companies that sell them are illegitimate too.
Just as misusing prescription drugs is dangerous to your health, consuming counterfeit drugs is too. Although there is a chance the Xanax you buy online may be the real thing, is it really worth the risk to find out?
Buying Xanax Online: Is it safe?
Buying any type of prescription drug, illegal drug, or designer drug online is never safe. There are just too many risks to justify doing it. Buying Xanax online is not only physically dangerous, but it can also damage your financial health, result in criminal charges, or even lead to overdose and death.
If you’re addicted, buying Xanax online may seem like the only option to avoid extremely uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms, but you don’t have to remain chained to your Adderall any longer. There is another way out of your Adderall addiction.
At Briarwood Detox Center, we offer safe, comfortable, and confidential medical detox for Adderall addiction. Our staff will help you safely reach a state of sobriety by gradually weaning you off the drug, treating your withdrawal symptoms with medication, and providing clinical counseling to address emotional issues like anxiety or depression.
Our staff will be there for you day and night to ensure that you are comfortable and safe throughout your detox program. We even offer an executive detox program for people who want additional privacy and access to a personal cell phone and computer while they detox.