Tramadol is a prescription opioid drug that can only be legally obtained with a valid prescription. However, it can also be purchased relatively easily online, both with and without a prescription.
Whether you want to buy tramadol online to help with pain relief or simply to get high, it’s important to be aware of the risks that you face in doing so. Not only is it illegal to buy tramadol without a valid prescription, but it could also be dangerous to your health.
If you’re addicted to tramadol and you have no other way of getting it, you may feel like there’s no other option than to buy it online. Regardless, here’s why you may want to reconsider.
What is Tramadol?
Tramadol is a prescription opioid drug that is used to treat moderate pain. Most often, it’s used to treat chronic pain from various medical conditions or to relieve pain post-surgery.1
Tramadol works by binding to opioid receptors in the brain to relieve pain. Although it is said to be less addictive than other prescription painkillers, it can still cause rapid development of tolerance, dependence, and addiction. This is especially true if someone takes tramadol for a long period of time or takes larger doses than necessary.
Common brand names of tramadol include Ultram, Ultram ER, ConZip, and Ryzolt.2 is available in both immediate-release and extended-release formulations. Street names for tramadol include chill pills, ultras, and trammies.
According to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), 41 million tramadol prescriptions were dispensed in the U.S. in 2017 and about 16 million were dispensed in the first half of 2018. In 2016, 1.6 million Americans abused tramadol products in the past year.3
Tramadol is a Schedule IV drug in all 50 U.S. states and can cause cravings, withdrawal symptoms, and compulsive drug-using behavior. It is most commonly abused by people who abuse other types of opioid painkillers, chronic pain patients, and health professionals.
Signs of Tramadol Abuse
Some common signs and symptoms of tramadol abuse may include:
- Sense of calmness and relaxation
- Respiratory depression
- Low blood pressure
- Slowed heart rate
- Pinpoint pupils
Common behavioral signs of tramadol abuse also include:
- Using tramadol nonmedically
- Visiting multiple doctors to get more tramadol prescriptions
- Continuing to use tramadol despite the negative effects
- Lying about symptoms to get tramadol
- Craving tramadol
- Believing one needs tramadol to get through the day
- Lacking control over tramadol use
- Needing more tramadol to achieve the same effects
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when tramadol use ceases
- Spending money for bills, groceries, and other necessities on tramadol
- Spending an excessive amount of time thinking about how to get tramadol, what it feels like to use it, and when one will use it next
- Withdrawing socially
- Acting especially secretive, paranoid, or aggressive
Long-term tramadol abuse can cause serious addiction problems and is also more likely to cause an overdose, especially if tramadol is taken with alcohol or other opioid drugs.
Signs of Tramadol Overdose
Any misuse of tramadol can greatly increase a person’s risk of overdose. In 2017, there were 28,466 drug overdose deaths caused by synthetic opioids like tramadol. In the state of Texas alone, there were 348 total synthetic opioid-related overdose deaths.4
|Common signs and symptoms of tramadol overdose include:|
If you think someone is experiencing a tramadol overdose, you should seek emergency medical help right away.
Why Do People Buy Tramadol Online?
People may buy tramadol online for any number of reasons, such as:
- To self-medicate for pain
- To get high
- To sell it to other tramadol users
- To buy it at a cheaper price than is available on the streets
Although most people are aware that buying a Schedule IV drug like tramadol online without a valid prescription is illegal, those who are addicted may do just about anything to get their hands on their drug of choice. Others may feel like they have no other option because they need the tramadol to feel normal or to get through the day.
Dangers of Buying Tramadol Online
Perhaps you’re considering buying tramadol online without a prescription. If you find yourself in this situation, here are several reasons why you may want to reconsider buying tramadol online.
- Buying tramadol online is illegal. It may be easy to buy tramadol online, but that doesn’t make it legal. If you’re caught, you could face criminal charges, lose your job, or even go to jail.
- You may accidentally purchase counterfeit tramadol. Most online pharmacies are operating outside of the law, meaning they are illegitimate companies that could easily scam you.5 If you buy tramadol online, there is no way of knowing whether the drugs you purchased are actually tramadol. Many online drug sellers claim to be selling one drug when they’re really giving you a product that’s full of harmful chemicals, fillers, or more powerful drugs like fentanyl or carfentanil, which could ultimately kill you.
- Your financial information could be at risk. Since most online pharmacies are illegitimate operations, there’s no way of knowing that your financial information is safe with them. They could potentially steal it or sell it to someone else without you even knowing.
- You could experience serious health problems or medical emergencies. If you do consume counterfeit tramadol, you could inevitably suffer from serious side effects, permanent health problems, or even suffer a fatal overdose.
Fake Tramadol Online
The likelihood of accidentally purchasing fake tramadol is high and it’s also one of the riskiest aspects of buying tramadol online. It’ extremely difficult to distinguish between fake tramadol and the real thing, as many counterfeit drugs look legitimate and may even come packaged in boxes and bottles that resemble the same thing you’d get from a pharmacist.
Despite what the tramadol looks like, it’s extremely dangerous and life-threatening to consume any counterfeit drugs, especially if they were purchased online from an unknown seller. Any number of ingredients could cause a serious or deadly reaction and emergency responders may not be able to properly treat the issue if they are unaware of what you consumed.
Buying Tramadol Online: Is it safe?
When it’s all said and done, buying tramadol online is not a safe practice unless you have a valid prescription and you are buying from a legitimate online pharmacy. If you are trying to buy tramadol online with the intention of misusing it, you are putting yourself in very real danger.
Tramadol addiction is a life-threatening and crippling disease that can feel impossible to beat. Fortunately, with the right help, you can overcome your addiction to tramadol and live a happy, fulfilling life without it. Many people have struggled with tramadol addiction and have successfully overcome it. You can too.
If you need help today, call Briarwood Detox Center for more information about our opioid detox program. We can help you detox safely and comfortably before you enter a drug rehab program. Call to get started today.