Adderall is a stimulant drug that can only be legally obtained with a valid prescription. However, it’s not uncommon for people to purchase Adderall online (with or without a prescription) for many different reasons.
Perhaps you like the feeling of confidence and euphoria it provides, maybe you need it to be productive at work or to study after a long day at work, or maybe you use it to enhance your athletic performance as a weight lifter or professional athlete. Whatever your reason may be for purchasing Adderall online, it’s important to know that there are risks involved.
Although it may be easy to find and purchase Adderall online, doing so can be dangerous or illegal. It may also be a sign that your relationship with Adderall has reached the level of abuse or addiction. Here’s why you might want to think twice before buying Adderall online.
What is Adderall?
Adderall is a prescription stimulant that is used to treat ADHD and narcolepsy. It is a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine and is chemically similar to methamphetamine.1 It is only legally available with a valid prescription.
Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant and it works by increasing the chemicals dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain and triggering the body’s fight or flight response. This increases blood pressure, heart rate, and breathing, decreases blood flow, increases blood sugar, and opens up breathing passages.2
Although it has been coined as a “smart drug,” Adderall doesn’t necessarily make you smarter. However, it can increase your ability to pay attention, focus, and control your behavior. As a result, many students, professionals, and athletes misuse this prescription drug as a performance enhancer. People with eating disorders may also misuse Adderall to achieve their weight loss goals and curb their appetite.
In 2017, 18.1 million people misused prescription stimulants like Adderall.3 Many people who end up abusing Adderall don’t start with the intention of doing so. Like many other prescriptions, Adderall seems like a “safe” drug since it’s prescribed by doctors. However, in high doses, it can be highly addictive and has adverse effects like irregular heartbeat, dangerously high body temperature, heart failure, and seizures.2
Despite these risks, people still misuse Adderall for its euphoric properties and its ability to increase focus, concentration, and decrease appetite. It is classified as a Schedule II drug by the DEA, which means it has a high potential for abuse, dependence, and addiction.4
Signs of Adderall Abuse
Some common signs and symptoms of Adderall abuse may include:
- Lack of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Pounding heartbeat
- Peeling skin
- Dry mouth
- Upset stomach
- Reduced sex drive
- Chest pain
Common behavioral signs of Adderall abuse also include:
- Sudden weight loss
- Aggressive behavior
- Talking very quickly
- Hiding Adderall pills
- Lying about taking Adderall pills
- Frequently taking Adderall pills
- Sudden decline in personal hygiene
- Incomplete thoughts/sentences
- Financial and/or relationship problems
Long-term, chronic Adderall abuse can cause physical dependence and addiction, which will have lasting consequences. It can also lead to non-fatal or fatal overdose. Adderall overdose is most likely to happen when it is taken with other drugs such as alcohol and benzodiazepines.
Signs of Adderall Overdose
The number of national drug overdose deaths involving stimulant drugs like Adderall has increased dramatically from 547 in 1999 to 10,333 in 2017, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).5 Any misuse of Adderall can pose a serious risk for overdose.
Recognizing the signs of Adderall overdose can empower you to get help quickly if you believe a friend or family member is overdosing.
|Common signs and symptoms of Adderall overdose include:
If you believe a loved one is overdosing on Adderall, you should call 911 immediately.
Why Do People Buy Adderall Online?
People may buy Adderall online for several reasons, including:
- To self-medicate for medical and/or personal problems
- To get high
- To illegally sell or distribute to others
- To enhance performance at work, school, or for athletics
- To get Adderall without a prescription
Adderall addiction can be a powerful motivator, so even though it is illegal to purchase Adderall online without a valid prescription, many people may feel like they have no other option because they need the drug to feel normal, to perform well at work or school, or to maintain a certain physical appearance.
Dangers of Buying Adderall Online
If you are considering buying Adderall online without a valid prescription, it may seem like a cheaper more convenient way to get it. However, there are several reasons why you might want to think twice before you do so.
- It is against the law. Although you can get Adderall through a legitimate online pharmacy, buying Adderall online without a valid prescription is illegal. If you get caught, you’ll face serious legal consequences that could impact your ability to get a job, your child custody rights, or your immigration status, not to mention, you could face jail time.
- Most online pharmacies are not legitimate. While some online pharmacies are legitimate, most are not, according to the FDA.7 If you buy Adderall (or any other substance or drug) from an illegitimate pharmacy, you have no guarantee that these companies are operating under the laws or regulations that are designed to protect the rights and safety of consumers like you.
- You could purchase counterfeit Adderall without knowing it. Since most online sellers of Adderall are untrustworthy sources, you may unknowingly purchase counterfeit drugs that are being marketed as Adderall. Counterfeit drugs often contain harmful research chemicals, fillers, or other drugs such as fentanyl, which could be dangerous to your health.
- Your personal financial information could be stolen. Although any online purchase you make with a credit card could potentially be risky, buying Adderall online from an unscrupulous illegitimate pharmacy could put your financial information in the hands of someone with devious plans.
- You could suffer from serious health problems. If you unknowingly consume counterfeit Adderall, there’s no way of knowing what you ingested and you could suffer serious side effects or health problems as a result.
Fake Adderall Online
As briefly mentioned above, accidentally purchasing counterfeit drugs is one of the top concerns regarding buying Adderall online. Unfortunately, it’s often very difficult to distinguish counterfeit drugs from the real thing, so there may be no obvious sign that the drugs are fake when you receive them. They may even come packaged in boxes and bottles that look convincing and legitimate.
Regardless of how the Adderall appears, consuming a drug without knowing its ingredients or the side effects and possible interactions of those ingredients could cause an overdose or potentially fatal side effects. Additionally, if you do experience a medical emergency after consuming counterfeit pills, it may be difficult for emergency responders to provide adequate treatment because they won’t know what ingredients you ingested.
Buying Adderall Online: Is it safe?
If you have a valid prescription for Adderall from your doctor, buying Adderall from a legitimate online pharmacy may be a great option for you. However, if you are buying Adderall online without a prescription or with the intent of abusing it, doing so is never safe or recommended.
Adderall addiction is very difficult to manage on your own and it may seem like buying Adderall online is the only way you can feel normal again and function at school or work. If this is the case for you, you should know that you’re not alone. Many people struggle with Adderall addiction but there is hope for a happy, drug-free life in recovery.